Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spiritual Antennae

Every time a group hunkers down to a really good discussion on prayer, it seems to inevitably be about petitions, whether your own or interceding for others. I wish people would remember, or realize, that listening is a very large part of prayer. I know we know that prayer is so much more than asking for things, but whenever it's discussed, those other things seem to disappear.

But when Paul says to "pray without ceasing", does he mean that we should walk around continually muttering about things? Does he mean that we keep up a constant stream of "do this, do that, bless hims" every minute we're awake? "With all sorts of prayers and requests"...

Or does he mean something else entirely? A while ago I came to think of it as always referring everything to God, eventually a sort of "always on" mode. Filtering it through Him, what He thinks about it. Kind of like having spiritual antennae, always testing, testing, to see what the Lord says about this or that. Constantly listening, constantly sensitive to when we do something wrong or when someone speaks error.

Again, though, that's probably only part of it, even though it's a constant.

7 comments:

clstarr88 said...

There are other types of prayer as well... thanking God for the things He has done for us, telling Him how much we love Him, telling Him we are sorry for the bad things we did, as well as asking Him for things, and yes, listening too.

Hence said...

Yup, thanking, praise, confession...I was just concentrating on what Paul said when he said "Pray without ceasing".

clstarr88 said...

oh, yes, I see. and I agree...

Hence said...

I also could be wrong. :)

Shirley Șerban said...

I like. This is giving me some food for thought. My first reaction was, "it's like being online (computer) even when you're not active... emails go through, pop-ups from friends calling, etc. You may not always be there, but you're aware."

I've often wondered about this verse... time to think some more. Thanks!

Hence said...

An interesting analogy!

Bryan Riley said...

Good post. God still speaks today. Listen.