Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Seek Ye FIRST...

Sheesh, I've been going about it all wrong this time. Ever since October...no, before that. Last summer, I think. Ever since then we've been working towards going back "out there".

Only now I keep coming across passages and columns saying, "Seek ME". I've found I've been pursuing missions more than Jesus Himself. I see it in an Oswald Chambers daily reading, in a magazine article, and especially in the "Perspectives" book/course. (If people want some meat to sink their teeth into, that's a good one to go to.) Yes, "The true greatness of any church in not how many it seats but how many it sends," (unknown), but anything can become an idol, even very good things. Pro-life crusades, songwriting....missions. Anything that gets our main focus. As P.T. Forsyth said, "the weakness of much current mission work is that [we] betray the sense that what is yet to be done is greater than what [Christ] has already done. The world's gravest need is less than Christ's great victory." (emphasis mine)

"And step by step you'll lead me....and I will follow You all of my days." (Rich Mullins)

3 comments:

clstarr88 said...

this touched my heart

Hence said...

I really wanted to respond to this, but everything I tried sounded wrong...even this does...

clstarr88 said...

no worries. thanks for writing, I love reading everything. :)