Friday, January 25, 2008

Either-Or

"When someone asserts that we must choose between two things, when in fact we have more than two alternatives, he is using the either-or fallacy.
--The Fallacy Detective, pg 108

Yet among Christians this is the norm. You're only allowed to be either a Calvinist or an Arminianist, a futurist or a preterist (actually, there are four views but the principle is the same; no one allows you to be a prefuturist, for example), and so on. When are people going to realize that there is only one Person who never made a mistake in His theology, only one human who was perfect in all He thought? Do we ever think about the possibility that in following one "ist" or "ism" to the letter we might be following a doctrine rather than a Person? Why can't one be a Calminianist, or even not make up your mind as per preterist/futurist and shelve the matter pending developments (not necessarily events)? There are things I just don't know and though I may have leanings I realize I'm not seeing the whole picture, and am open to correction.

As an example, I became a Christian almost 27 years ago, and for approximately the first 25 years had only heard of, had been taught, the futurist view of eschatology. I didn't even know there was any other view, let alone four. Now that I have read about all the views, I realize there are some very valid* points in at least two of the views and all have possibilites, and I am shelving a conclusion (suspending judgement), although I'm currently finding one view more valid than the rest. But I'm not insisting that everything this view says is correct and that all others are not worth looking into or that all others are heretical.

I guess it goes back to the old thing of examining things for yourself. Or maybe just being willing to listen. Reminds me of a song I once wrote about that...

______

* "very valid" seems akin to saying "very pregnant" but I wanted to emphasize the validity and can't think of a proper way to do that. Maybe our resident grammarian reader can suggest one.

7 comments:

Tony M said...

Yeah, "very valid" does seem a bit, um, off; unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations at this point, but perhaps "especially valid" or "particularly valid" would add something (at least a syllable or two).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I think there are a lot of things that really don't especially or particularly matter. Things that aren't necessarily vital to the key points of our faith in God's plan of salvation, Jesus' atoning death on the cross, His taking my and your punishment (as long as we'll accept it).

Sometimes I wonder if this is part of Satan's working; you know, get the Christians distracted and arguing about the beginning of times (Genesis), the end of times (Revelation), and things in between, and not doing the "good business" of sharing the good news with those who need to hear it. Sort of like he used God's word to "trick" the woman & man in the garden of Eden, twisting things and making them second guess what they knew, he might be trying to trick us into spending our time, effort, and energy on things that don't really matter, thus keeping more of God's (potential) children separated from Him.

And I think that's what Satan's really about - honestly, I don't think Satan care at all about you or me. I think what he cares about is hurting God. How does he do that? Primarily by keeping His (potential) children separated from Him, meaning keeping Christians from telling others about Him. Somewhat by keeping His children out of fellowship. But I think that's what Satan really wants - to "get back at" God. He knows his future (he's not stupid), so he's trying to do what he can to keep people away from God, which is his method of inflicting pain on God.

My thoughts, anyway. Now back to watching "Transformers"...

Laudio said...

I also agree that there are some issues that are worth thought, but don't weigh heavily in essential matters like one's salvation, walk with Christ, etc. But I do find some of these things interesting -- very interesting.

I'd bet that any issue, if dissected enough and logically worked backward, could be made to seem like it will impact one's belief system either positively or negatively. In some cases that may be true and in other cases, probably not.

That good and vague? :)

Hence said...

I'm not saying these things should be ignored, since some aspects do matter and do affect your beliefs and therefore walk. I think, actually, they should be examined--"test everything"--but that more than just one side should be examined or be allowed to be examined. I don't think adhering to one particular...um, system?...idea?...without examining it is a particularly good idea.

Tony M said...

Agreed - we should reason through things, think for ourselves, not simply rely on what someone tells us we should believe.

Sorry if I distracted by the first comment (heh-heh; doing it myself now, taking directions that weren't originally intended and distracting form the point at hand). I just think that, while we should figure out what we believe (and why), we should be careful not to expend 100% (or more) of our energy in a direction that isn't quite as effective at furthering the Kingdom of Heaven (or that might, by way of the "those arguing Christians" factor, turn some away from Christ).

Hence said...

Nah, I was replying to both your comments.

Laudio said...

I really do believe that some people don't need to explore certain lines of thought. Not saying that anyone should remain ignorant, but we Christ-followers are REALLY bad about getting bits and pieces of information or theology, forming opinions based our then-incomplete puzzle, and then throwing our opinion out in an uneducated manner for someone to simply rip us to shreds.

It's a difficult situation, because, in order to form our own opinion or belief, we often borrow from the opinions and beliefs of others as well as Scriptures (usually more of the former than the latter). If people don't have any wisdom or knowledge (often found in a wise mentor) to help them dig deeper on certain issues, they can sometimes be left confused, particularly if they're procrastinators and never follow up in getting to the heart of the matter.

People can be left hanging out in a gray area and wind up forming an opinion that says, "I'm not sure what I believe, or if I really believe anything now."

On the other hand, those "wise mentors" can wind up indoctrinating people into a particular belief system that the "seeker of truth" finds out later just really doesn't mesh with reality or the Scriptures.

Loved the "very valid" note, by the way. :)

Hence said...

"You know, you are also right." --Tevye