Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Believing Fashion

Years ago, I, for a reason I can't now remember, was observing a friend's make-up. She had on, or was putting on, what looked like grey eyeshadow. I asked if it was, indeed, grey, since I thought the object of make-up was to look less, er, grey (so to speak). She said, no, it was blue, and it was supposed to either make her eyes look bluer or otherwise enhance them somehow.

It didn't. It just looked like grey sitting on her lids. (Naturally I didn't point this out.) But one must follow fashion advice, mustn't one. Just like I should never wear green eyeshadow because I have green in my eyes. Takes away, or something.

Well, I've tried it and it looks pretty good, if done right (and sparingly). And no, this is not a fashion advice column. I just wish that people would realize that just cuz Angelina Jolie looks good with poofy lips it doesn't mean everyone does:

(Not the best comparison pics; for a better view, watch "Spy Kids" then "Night in the Museum", or even just watching "Night" by itself makes you realize that something is just wrong with her lips.)

Or who in their right minds would prefer:

yet practically everybody adopted the ironed hair despite the fact that it was flattering to but very few. (I don't mean naturally straight hair, which can be quite flattering, but the sticking-out-at-the-ends-deliberately-straightened stuff.)

I have a small, "rosebud" type mouth which I have no intention of poofing up even though it's crooked due to a bike accident I had when I was 15. My mouth size suits my face, as most mouths usually do; Jennifer Connelly looked much prettier in "The Rocketeer" than in her skinnier films, and Botox is just a creeeeepy idea. Open your eyes, folks, and see what looks--if that's what you're into--best for you.

5 comments:

Tony M said...

When I think about my hair's gradual recession from my head, it really doesn't bother me all that much. I wear it proudly as a reminder of my father (who's bald) and grandfather (who's bald, or was, before he went home after a long battle with Alzheimer's; it's a sad event when, as a teenager, you have to babysit your grandfather, the man who sang "Amazing Grace" at your baptism service, the man who used to play little jokes on you when you were little, the man who now doesn't even recognize you and wants to pay you for the dinner you just served him and further wants you to take him "home" even though he's sitting in his own kitchen - he's thinking, of course, of the trailer in which he lived for many, many years in a trailer park on the lake). Mind you, I wouldn't have minded if I'd ended up with my mom's dad's hair, but I do proudly wear my balding head as a link to my father's side of the family. (Oh, and my wife is "into" Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart, so I just cut it short and she likes it that way... :)

You know, there's really only one thing I would change about me, physically (not counting the 20 or 30 pounds I probably lose, primarily for health reasons): my eyes. I would, could I afford it, highly consider corrective eye surgery to get rid of my glasses. And that's not an aesthetic thing as much as a practical one - it's simply a pain to have to deal with them. It would be nice to be able to get up in the morning and be able to see before reaching into my nightstand drawer and pulling out and putting on my glasses. They get dirty (very) all the time; they get water dots when it rains; my peripheral vision isn't so good (since they don't wrap around).

I'm nearsighted (meaning I can't see far), but I'm so nearsighted that, for instance, when I remove my glasses I can't read the text on my laptop screen that's maybe 18 inches from my face. I did consider contacts once, as a teenager, but was only able to get one fitting lens into one eye (after a great struggle), and the eye doctor had to get it back out; contacts aren't for me.

Anyway, back to the point of your post - you're absolutely right. People need to do what looks right for them, not what they think everyone else wants to see. After all, God made us each unique (even twins); there's no sense in trying to copy someone else's look.

Hence said...

I should have included male examples, I guess--there are some Botoxed/lifted male faces out there that look, frankly, quite horrendous. Of course, that's more of an age thing than a fashion thing, which is a whole 'nother subject. Anyway, please excuse my oversight. I was actually expecting this comment to be from a female reader when I saw it on my dashboard...

You have my sympathy re your grandfather story.

Tony M said...

"I was actually expecting this comment to be from a female reader" ... heh-heh, a bit chauvinistic there? :) kidding! only kidding!

Hey, I can comment on just about anything...

And thanks, for the sympathy part; he's better now, of course. Up in Heaven, with our savior (Jesus). Been there a while now (my oldest boy is now 14 and never knew him; my daughter, the oldest child, is the only one he ever met, and at that time he had lost his ability to speak, but always smiled really big whenever she was around). I recall (when they actually could still bring him to church) his clapping along with the music, even though he couldn't talk or sing, and his clapping was way off the beat... he sure loved good ol' gospel music! And church hymns! I'll bet he's up there singing and praising right now!

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack - next commenter, get back to the topic of fashion! :)

Hence said...

I told you I didn't mind off-topic comments...

Tony M said...

By the way, this is one reason why I run Folding at Home on all my computers... they're doing distributed computing that may benefit Alzheimer's research. And team LBD (team # 258) is in the top 1000 of all folding teams, so if you want to get in on a well-ranked team (and help it improve), feel free to download a client and configure it to contribute to team 258!