Monday, January 21, 2008

That Abraham Post

Ok, I guess I finally need to post this. The idea came to me a while back, and reading this post this morning prompted me to once again attempt to dredge it up out of myself. (Is "dredge up" redundant?)

The thing that occurred to me was that the only "plan" God had for Abraham's life was to have a kid. He commanded Abram to move, and to have a child; granted, when he was too old to, but still, he got written up in the Hebrews Hall of Fame, studied, mentioned almost every time God was mentioned ("the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob") and all he basically "did" was move and have a child. This is not to belittle his accomplishments in any way. His move to another country and culture was a big risk and the child he loved so dearly he was willing to sacrifice, and was the foreshadowing of The sacrifice. Still, he didn't lead people out of 400 years of bondage, found a ministry or write best-sellers. So maybe some of us can take another look at what we haven't done. Maybe the only thing that's required is to move and have a kid or two. ;) Maybe the only thing that's required is that we give of us everything we have.

1 comment:

Tony M said...

Well, I've done that (had a kid or four, moved). Guess I'm done...? :) I'm playing "Ratchet & Klank" with one of those kids 'o' mine at the moment (holiday from work), but I'll try to reply more in-depth later...