Sunday, March 16, 2008

Just Musing

It recently occurred to me that I often hear people speaking on the armor of God, on "not flesh and blood but rulers, against the authorities". It also occurred to me as I was reading Ephesians that I don't often find stuff on Eph 4:29 (unwholesome talk, building others up), on I Cor 4:9, "For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like men condemned to die in the arena", or farther down, v 13"...when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world." Hmm. I probably have heard, "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others," but I know not often enough. Nor very much on Phil 1:9 and discernment.

4 comments:

Tony M said...

I agree - we don't get enough of those things in our routine teaching and discipleship. And probably not enough in our own discipleship (quiet times), if we even have such times.

Maybe we spend too much time blogging. (Kidding!)

We should pay attention to those things, though... God didn't give them to us for us to ignore them, after all.

Hence said...

Can one blog too much if one is doing it for Him?

Tony M said...

Well, you know, my friend Dean recently talked about something similar at this post. Thus, probably not, to answer your question. As I'd said, my "too much time blogging" was at least half intended to be humorous. I suppose that "too much time blogging" is possible, of course... perhaps even if it is "for Him" - but that would be if you (I'm speaking generically here, not to Amateur directly) manage to put the blog at a higher priority than God. Of course, you may spend your time with God at least partially on your blog... now that would surely be a blog worth reading! (Not to imply that this one isn't, or isn't that way, or is that way... I think my words are failing here...)

Ah, just go ahead and write your next post, and ignore my mangled words... :)

Hence said...

Yes, I know humour was intended. I was just pondering. If a blog takes priority, then it's no longer done for Him (although they may still think so). Sure, one can write lots and think it's for Him but it's not. Ideally, one would write only what edifies and is profitable, but I often wonder if all but one or two posts of mine will get burned up.