Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Mama Killed a Chicken...

...she thought it was a duck
she put it on the table with its legs stickin' up"

The past few days we've been putting a bunch of songs off of old albums onto CD's. I tell ya, people just do not know what they're missing if they have never heard some of that earlier Christian music. If they've never heard the original "He's Alive" (despite his "dolphin voice"--ask if you want clarification on that--it's a powerful rendition), or the early Christian alternative stuff, before it got monotone; the 77's, old DA, that kind of thing.

They've been so good to re-live, and I can't wait to play these things in the car as well! Why have we let them languish so? (Probably because it's easier to pop a CD in than take all the stuff off the crates our albums are stored in, hunt for the song you want, then put everything back when it's over.)

1 comment:

Tony M said...

I assume you mean the Don Francisco rendition of "He's Alive," correct? I've always loved that song, and most of Don's stuff in general. You can get a lot of his stuff online now, at Rocky Mountain Ministries. Back a long time ago at Concorde Baptist Church (somewhere near Birmingham, but I don't recall exactly where) there was a guy, I think by the name of Rex (I was very young then), who did that song. Very good voice (if I recall correctly).

One of the Don Francisco CDs I have ("The Early Works") has a rendition of "Gotta Tell Somebody" that my 9-year-old boy loves to sing. I'll play it on guitar and he'll sing... it's a lot of fun. We'll probably try to do it in church some Sunday night sometime.