Monday, March 10, 2008

Easter Thoughts

When "The Passion of the Christ" came out in theaters, we went to see it. The theater was very still throughout (though I know I was only just keeping myself from wailing). We filed out silently, rode home in silence, and continued on that day in a somber vein.

This was not the sweet, beckoning joy that most people think of when they think of love. This was a tremendous presence, something almost solid, landing in the room with the impact of a meteor.

That's what stunned me. Not the violence, the violence was barely endurable (but probably underdone in the case of the scourging); rather, the overwhelming love of someone willing to go through the horror for. . . . .us. That's someone worth following to the ends of the earth.

And that’s what I wanted to do when I got home. Just get up and walk out of the door, the house, and keep walking until I could walk up to Jesus.

"The Passion of The Christ" ripped me in half, like the veil in the temple. I had expected to be ripped, because I am an intensely empathetic person. What I hadn't expected was how it also rocked my soul, rocked it in a way it hadn't been rocked since the conference that led us overseas. No sermon I've heard since coming home has had that much power.


What I'm thinking this year is: Should we watch it on Good Friday again this year? I couldn't bring myself to one year, did watch it another, and last time I found movie standpoints creeping in.

I don't want that. I don't want to think of movie things when I watch it. I also know that His followers only saw His death once. Is it therefore wrong for us to watch a facsimile once a year, or is it instead a good reminder?

2 comments:

clstarr88 said...

The hardest part for me to bear was watching everything that happened through his mother's eyes. I can't put into words the feelings it gave me. I am not ready to watch it again and I don't know if I ever will be. Perhaps in time. Chet watched it last year on Good Friday and will probably watch it again this year.

Hence said...

Yes...I don't think I'm ready to this year, either. And maybe not after that.