Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mysteries and More

I really like mysteries for some reason. I don't know why, really; I never really read Nancy Drew as a kid (or an adult)--wait, I do remember three non-Nancy Drews ones I did read as a kid...

Anyway, maybe it was when I discovered Agatha Christie. But even then I hadn't gotten to the point I am at now; when I head for the fiction section of the library for some light reading, I look almost exclusively for those little skulls on the side of the books.

While there are some enjoyable ones out there, I've been disturbed lately by how many I've come across recently where the heroine is getting married, but currently living with her fiance (or just living with someone). It's the norm all of a sudden. In fact, one book went so far as to declare that a certain mother character had "issues" because she, and this said in quite the scornful and incredulous tone, obviously expected her daughter to remain a virgin until she got married. ("That household obviously has issues.")

I don't get offended easily (hurt, yes; I'm unfortunately terribly sensitive, but not offended) but that so offended me that I lost all desire to read any more. And these aren't young authors writing this stuff (well, I think the "issues" one was); they're mostly women older than I, who you'd think have been raised with those older or at least 50's values.

I take that back, it's not sudden. It's been creeping in, step by step, and now it's a flood. At least, I hope it's still at flood stage. I hope it hasn't spread out and become an everyday, ordinary, always-been-here normal lake.

3 comments:

Tony M said...

It's really sad the state of our nation. More and more this is happening, and it's not just the books... it's everything. They're (and I'll leave that pronoun undefined at this point, even though it's grammatically incorrect to do so) attempting to indoctrinate our children, more & more... win the children of today, have the society of tomorrow. Yes, it's been happening all along, but it's getting worse. The things they're teaching our kids in school these days... and some of us can't afford to pay for a high-priced private school (especially with four kids!). We did try homeschooling for a while (one year with all four, the following year with middle two), but it didn't work so well with our family, so we stopped.

Sorry, anyway, it really, truly is sad; the only thing I can think of is to pray for our nation, for our kids, and for our future. But I don't see it changing... we're heading down the path that most initially Godly places take - being blessed, getting caught up in "our" prosperity, and getting arrogant, taking sole credit for what God has helped us in through the years and starting to leave Him out of it.

Don't get me wrong - this is still the best place on earth to live, but I just wonder for how long...

Hence said...

Whooo...I want to reply, but I think it will take another blog post to do it...

In the meantime, I know it's in everything, not just books, etc. But if you pray but don't expect change, that's not exactly praying with faith, is it? (Maybe I misunderstood.)

Tony M said...

True enough; you are absolutely correct, I need to change my thinking about the nation. Nothing is beyond God's help, if we'll pray, believing. Thanks for the reminder!